community: History: Sands Theatre
2008 - The 50th Anniversary of the Sands TheatreJoe Machetta opened Sands Theatre on April 18, 1958, after purchasing projection equipment and leasing the property from Charles W. Emerson, the original owner of the building.
The building was built in 1916 and owned by banker Charles W. Emerson. At that time, it was known as the Emerson Theatre and also housed other small busineses through the years, in addition to the theatre. The theatre portion of the building was acquired and operated by John Roberts, although Emerson retained ownership. In the 1950's, Roberts closed the theatre. But in 1958, Joe Machetta re-opened the theatre.
The theatre shows movies seven nights a week. For more information, call Joe Maschetta at (970) 842-2466.